In anticipation of having others help me accomplish my goal, I have to organize and sort the ,material to make kits. Each kit will make one quilt. I found the last round this worked very well.
After two weeks of cutting I have a start on the "strings" foundation blocks and center strings
I sort by color family, this makes it very easy for me to create color coordinated kits
Yesterday I picked up another 50 yards to cut into 2" strips know as Strings.
Today I washed, tomorrow I cut.
In several generous donations of fabrics and blankets I have a stash of battings and backs. The blankets will be used for batting.They get stored in large tubs, I will wash them when I am ready to use them
I also use vintage machines for this project. The initial sewing of blocks does not require a heavy duty machine, but the quilting and binding does. Hopefully I will have an industrial soon but for now here is my set up:
A dual drive kenmore for the piecing, quiet, nice and smooth. This machine was given to me by Lenora, she also donated a ton of fabrics!
A tank of a singer with a potted motor, 15-91 for free motion quilting
For stitch in the ditch quilting and Pfaff 1222 SE with it's IDT - a walking foot.
and even a machine to attach the binding - this old kenmore will sew through just about anything .
And a machine for a helper - a sweet little singer - this came with the 50 yards of fabric.
I love vintage machines, all of these were purchased second hand and cost under $100.00 together. It helps that I can clean and repair to get them in tip top shape.
I have a beautiful Janome machine that I reserve for garment sewing. I am sure it can handle anything I put under the foot, but because it is computerized and newish I tend to baby it, I want it to last into the vintage state!
Tomorrow I have Lenora coming over to learn how to do one of these quilts and if she isn't camera shy I'll post a few picture of our progress!
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great week!