Stitching a butterfly Applique
I stitched up a butterfly last night as a bit of an experiment. It may be turned into a brooch or go on a crazy quilt. I wanted to see if I could improve my stitching by using a thinner needle and more patient stitching, I think it is improved. When I had an embroidery machine, I could produce a butterfly in about 30 minutes this one took about 4 hours. Machine are great, I love hand stitching. the green things are pins holding the butterfly!
I used Buckram as the ground cloth, It worked well other than bending two needles!
I used a rubber stamp and stamped the image with a waterproof Archival ink
I used a small 5" hoop and handheld it
Stem stitch with 4 ply cotton to make the outline. I wanted a good strong line that would hold when I cut the butterfly out
The interior Stitches were Split stitch with 2 ply cotton
For the wings, I used 2 ply Rayon with a silver shot. I used short and long stitch for this area
The black body is 2 ply cotton in stem stitch
I finished the edges with seed beads, cut the butterfly from the ground cloth, glued the edges under and attached to black felt
I may run a wire through the wings and keep the wings dimensional
Next time I think I won't use beads but instead, satin stitch the outer border and use french knots. That is one of the fun things about the craft, there is always room for experimentation!!
Thanks for stopping by!